7. i didn't receive your fax, and would you please send it again?
我没有收到你的传真,请你再传一次好吗?
8. the memory of the fax machine is full, and there is no paper to print.
传真机的内存已经满了,而且也没有打印纸了。
怎样处理信件
dialogue
susan has just drafted a business correspondence.she wants to ask for some advice about it from peter.
苏珊刚刚起草了一份商业信函。她想从彼得那征求一下意见。
susan: hi, peter. could i bother you a minute?
苏珊:嗨,彼得。我能打扰你几分钟吗?
peter: of course. what can i help you?
彼得:当然可以。我能帮你什么?
susan: i just drew up a business letter to our customers. can you give me some tips please? are the form and contents correct?
苏珊:我刚刚起草了一份给客户的信件。你能给我指点一下吗?信件的格式和内容正确吗?
peter: business letters are usually formal and the contents must be concise. keep your message short, because no one likes long letter. well, not bad on the whole. for rity, you should put a plete line space between each paragraph.
彼得:商业信件通常是注重格式的,内容要简洁。信件要简短,因为没有人喜欢读冗长的信函。嗯,整体上不错。为了条理清晰,在两端之间要空一行。
susan: oh, i forgot it. thank you.
苏珊:哦,我忘记了。谢谢你。
peter: you're wele. can you make sure your spelling and grammar are correct?
彼得:不客气。你确定所有的拼写和语法都正确吗?
susan: yeah, i have gone over it more than twice.
苏珊:是的,我已经检查两遍以上了。
peter: aha, you are a conscientious worker.
彼得:啊哈,你工作起来挺认真的。
susan: thank you. this is what i ought to do.
苏珊:谢谢你的夸奖。这是我分内的事。
notes
1. draft [drɑ:ft] n. 草稿;汇票;征兵;v. 起草;征募
2. correspondence [?k?ri'sp?nd?ns] n. 信件;通信(联系);符合,一致
3. draw up 起草,拟订;(使)停住
4. respond [ri'sp?nd] v. 答复;(to)对……有反应,响应
5. concise [k?n'sais] adj. 简明的,简要的
6. on the whole 总体上
7. conscientious [?k?n?i'en??s] adj. 认真的,勤勤恳恳的
小贴士
to send and receive letters
在翻译中,英语和中文的语序恰恰相反,我们说收发信件就不能译为“to receive and send letters”,而是“to send and receive letters”。类似的还有:sooner orter 迟早;no matter rich or poor 不论贫富;not worry about food or clothing 衣食无忧;care little about one's life or death 不管死活等等。
办公软件熟练吗
dialogue
in the rest room, ann and julia are talking about the convenience and practicability of office softwar.
在员工休息室,安和朱莉亚正在讨论办公软件的便捷和实用性。
ann: office software is very convenient for us. it saves us from so much work and makes the munication at home and abroad much easier.
安:办公软件给我们带来了很多方便。它让我们的工作更加轻松,让国内外的交流更加方便。
julia: yeah, though i am not expert in using all the office software, i do enjoy the convenience.
朱莉亚:是呀。尽管我对所有的办公软件不是很熟练,但我已经感觉到很方便了。
ann: in this information age, if you want to find a good job, you must be experienced in office software. the skills qualify you to get a high wage and promotion opportunity.
安:在这个信息时代,如果想找到一份好工作,你就必须能熟练操作办公软件。这项技能会让你得到高工资和提升的机会。
julia: i am going to be washed out of the times. i only know a little about excel and i have to shake off my present situation. can you help me? you are a dab at puter.
朱莉亚:我要被时代淘汰了。我对excel只是略懂皮毛,我必须要摆脱现在这种状况。你能帮我吗?你可是电脑高手。
ann: please don't worry too much about that. sense of crisis may raise your morale. anyhow, i can give you a hand whenever it is required.
安:不要太过于担心了。危机感可以激发你的斗志。不管怎样,只要你需要,我就会伸出援手的。
julia: it's so kind of you. thank you.
朱莉亚:你真是太好了。谢谢你。
notes
1. practicability [?pr?ktik?'biliti] n. 实用性,可行性
2. at home and abroad 国内外
3. qualify ['kw?li?fai] v.(使)胜任,(使)具有资格,(使)合格
4. wash out 把……洗掉;取消;破产;淘汰
5. shake off 抖落;摆脱
6. dab [d?b] v. 轻拍;轻涂;n. 内行,高手
7. morale [m?'r?l] n. 士气,斗志;品行
小贴士
1. are you familiar with the usage of office software?
你能熟练使用办公软件吗?
也可以这样说:
how is your proficiency in using office software?
2. i don't have the least knowledge of autocad.
我一点也不懂怎样自动制图。
3. he is a crack hand at puter.
他是个电脑高手。
4. could you show me the excel useful skills?
你能教我一些excel电子表格实用技巧吗?
5. in order to operate the office software perfectly, all the staff must be trained for a month.
为了能熟练地操作办公软件,所有的员工必须要参加一个月的培训。
6. excel is a mon office software with powerful functions.
excel是一种很常见且功能强大的计算机办公软件。