03 亲朋好友
伟大的母爱
dialogue
tina's mother returns home after work as usual.
蒂娜的妈妈像往常一样下班回家了。
tina: mom, thank goodness, you're back atst!
蒂娜:妈妈,谢天谢地,你终于回来了。
mom: what's up, tina? does everything go well?
妈妈:怎么了,蒂娜?一切都还好吗?
tina: quite well, mom. don't you remember what day it is today?
蒂娜:都很好,妈妈。您不记得今天是什么日子了吗?
mom: let me think. your birthday? no, your birthday is ing in next month. what special day is it today, honey?
妈妈:让我想想。是你的生日?不是,你的生日在下个月。今天是什么特殊的日子,宝贝?
tina: oh, mom. today is your birthday. didn't you remember it at all?
蒂娜:噢,妈妈,今天是你的生日呀。你一点也不记得了?
mom: oh, my god! i pletely forgot it.
妈妈:哦,天哪!我完全忘了。
tina: happy birthday, mom! here is my present for you.
蒂娜:生日快乐,妈妈!这是给您的礼物。
mom: thank you, honey.
妈妈:谢谢你,宝贝。
tina: mom, it's me who should say thanks. our family was in financial straits five years ago, so i wanted to find a job instead of going to university. but you insisted on affording me to put through university. you are a great mother. i love you so much.
蒂娜:妈妈,应该是我说谢谢。我们家5年前经济陷入困境,我想出来工作不上大学了,但是你坚持供我读完大学。你是个伟大的妈妈。我好爱您。
mom: i love you, too. i just thought that further education is the way to a better life at that time.
妈妈:我也爱你。我那时只是想只有上大学才有出路。
tina: thank you, mom. if i gave up my study, i wouldn't have made such outstanding achievements.
蒂娜:谢谢你,妈妈。如果我那时辍学了,就不可能有现在的成就。
mom: i'm so proud of you.
妈妈:我很为你感到骄傲。
notes
1. strait [streit] n. 海峡;困境;adj. 困难的;窘迫的
2. put through 接通(电话),顺利完成
3. at that time 在当时
4. outstanding [aut'st?ndi?] adj. 优秀的,突出的;未支付的;未完成的
小贴士
what's the meaning of “mother”?
“m” is for the million things she gave me,
“o” means only that she's growing old,
“t” is for the tears she shed to save me,
“h” is for her heart of purest gold,
“e” is for her eyes, with love-light shining,
“r” means right, and right she'll always be.
父爱如大山般深沉
dialogue
tom meets with setbacks in his work and life. he falls into a depression.
汤姆在工作和生活中遇到了挫折。他变得很沮丧。
dad: what's the matter, son?
爸爸:你怎么了,儿子?
tom: nothing, dad. i just feel a little depressed.
汤姆:没什么,爸爸。我只是有点沮丧。
dad: a little depressed? i saw you terribly distressed all day longtely. i know i am busy with my business these years and care little for you, but i do pay much attention to you. i think we should have a heart-to-heart talk.
爸爸:有点沮丧?我看到你最近整天都愁眉不展的。我知道我这些年一直忙生意,对你不够关心,但是我确实是关心你啊。我想我们应该聊一聊。
tom: i lost my mind these days. things just don't go right, no matter how i try.
汤姆:我这些日子要崩溃了,不管我怎么努力,总是不顺。
dad: life will inevitably have setbacks. through all the pain, you'll finally truly find yourself. difficulties are only temporary. take what you need and be on your way. you know i always have faith in you.
爸爸:生活中难免会遇到挫折。经过了所有的苦痛,你才会找到真正的自己。困难只是暂时的。重整步伐,然后大步向前。你知道我一直都对你充满信心。
tom: you are always confident in me? but you never praise me no matter what i do.
汤姆:你对我有信心?但是无论我做什么,你从来不夸奖我。
dad: that's my way to educate you. and now i finally know what you want, i will change my wayter.
爸爸:那是我的教育方式。现在我明白了你想要的,我以后会改变我的教育方式的。
tom: i didn't see what a good father you were before, but i do now. your guidance has always been appreciated. how could i be so lucky to have a dad like you. thank you, dad.
汤姆:我以前不知道您是一个多么好的父亲,但是现在我知道了。我永远感激您的引导。我竟是如此幸运,能有像您这样的父亲。谢谢您,爸爸。
notes
1. heart-to-heart ['ha:tt?'ha:t] adj. 率直的;诚实的;n. 交心
2. lose one's mind 精神错乱
3. go right 成功地;顺利地;按预定计划地
4. inevitably [in'evit?bli] adv. 不可避免地
5. setback ['setb?k] n. 挫折,失败;退步
6. temporary ['temp?reri] adj. 暂时的,临时的;n. 临时工
小贴士
the united states is one of the few countries in the world that regard father's day as an official day. on that day fathers are honored by their children. on the third sunday in june, fathers all across the united states are given presents,treated to dinner by children or other ways made to feel special.
美国是世界上把父亲节设立为法定节日的几个国家之一。在那天,孩子们向父亲致以敬意。在6月的第三个星期日,整个美国的父亲们会收到孩子们的礼物,被孩子们邀请吃饭或者有其他特别的活动。
送别朋友
dialogue
after travelling in beijing for two weeks,ie has to say goodbye to her friend susan. susan sees her off at the airport.
在北京游玩两星期后,麦琪不得不向她的朋友苏珊告别。苏珊在机场为她送行。
ie: it's nice of you to e all the way to see me off at the airport, susan.
麦琪:一路来机场给我送行,太感谢你了,苏珊。
susan: my pleasure. if not the end of your holiday, i really don't want you to leave.
苏珊:别客气。如果不是因为你的假期结束,我真舍不得让你走。
ie: during my stay here, you take me to see the national pce museum, the great wall and many other tourist attractions and taste all the cates in beijing. thank you for all you've done for me. how can i thank you enough?
麦琪:我在这儿逗留期间,你带我参观了故宫博物馆、长城和其他的旅游景点,并且尝遍了北京的美食。感谢你为我做的一切,真不知该怎样感谢你才好。
susan: i'm very happy to do all of that. listen,the announcer's announcing the departure of flight no. 876 to guangxi. is it your flight?
苏珊:我很乐于做这些。听,播音员正在广播去广西的876航班要起飞了,是你的航班吧?
ie: yes, how time flies! i must be going.
麦琪:是的,时间过得真快!我得走了。
susan: i will miss you very much. take care of yourself and don't forget to keep in touch.
苏珊:我会想你的。保重,别忘了常联系。
ie: i will. goodbye.
麦琪:我会的。再见。
susan: goodbye. have a good journey.
苏珊:再见。一路顺风。
notes
1. all the way 一直,完全
2. national pce museum 故宫博物院
3. the great wall 长城
4. tourist attraction 旅游圣地
5. cate [keit] n. 佳肴,美食
6. departure [di'pɑ:t??] n. 出发,离开;分歧;新的尝试
7. keep in touch 保持联系
小贴士
送别(王维)
下马饮君酒,问君何所之?
君言不得意,归卧南山陲。
但去莫复闻,白云无尽时。
i dismount from my horse and i offer you wine,
and i ask you where you are going and why.
and you answer, i am discontent
and would rest at the foot of the southern mountain.
so give me leave and ask me no questions.
white clouds pass there without end.
拜访朋友
dialogue
shirley es to visit her high school ssmate david today.
雪莉来拜访她的高中同学戴维。
david: shirley, here you e! please e in.
戴维:雪莉,你来了!快请进!
shirley: long time no see. how have you been, david?
雪莉:好久没见了。你好吗,戴维?
david: couldn't be better. and you?
戴维:很好,你呢?
shirley: not bad.
雪莉:还不错。
david: you are even more beautiful than when ist saw you half a year ago.
戴维:半年没见,你变得更漂亮了。
shirley: really? thank you.
雪莉:是吗?谢谢。